Real Owner Review

All Vauxhall Astra L related discussions
Davidson2

Post by Davidson2 »

Hi all,
Currently have a Mercedes A-Class AMG-Line that I was going to replace, but it’s a 2yr waiting list! :shock:
Fallen for the new Astra Ultimate, but I can’t get a test drive for a couple of weeks (due to a waiting list). I’m pretty sure I will order it, from sitting in it & playing with all the toys, but what do real owners think of it? Is there enough Oomph from the engine? Is the build quality lasting? Any common faults? Etc…

I really appreciate any feedback
Many thanks

MikeOx

Post by MikeOx »

Full disclosure, not an owner, however, test drove the 1.2 (130PS) 8 speed auto, using a mixture of sport mode and manual flappy paddle controls and couldn't get much more out of it than my 1.2 (101ps) 2020 Corsa SRI. Did well to hold onto the lower gears but not sure it'll replace your AMG.
Davidson2

Post by Davidson2 »

Thanks for that Mike. Since the post, I managed to get a test drive in the Ultimate manual.
To be honest, I couldn’t believe the build quality, which is just as good as BMW & Mercedes. Everything was solid, more modern, and the cockpit built around the driver was a great feeling.
As for power, I have various certifications for my driving, with a view of ‘safe, Maximum, legal progress’, with 2nd & 3rd gear giving a nice ‘grrr’ to get up to speed.
I made my order as soon as I got back (Ultimate in cobalt blue), with a March 2023 delivery date.

FB6D8F45-E16C-4D86-A4C9-6A4E46B343FB.jpeg

BF5E46B6-ABC8-479A-8051-A49F26D13727.jpeg

735134A1-8587-4D2E-803C-B785495BFF3E.jpeg

Command_F

Post by Command_F »

Some thoughts, again based only on a test drive. Looking for a PHEV for my wife, we drove the hatchback Ultimate.

I absolutely agree with Davidson2 on build quality. As soon as I got in, I thought it looked rather BMW: nicely laid out and seemingly good quality. The driving position is comfortable (for both of us, my wife being short in the leg sometimes struggles) and the controls fall easily to hand. There are some well-chosen physical buttons to shortcut the touchscreen. Equipment levels are very high. The stalks are heavily loaded with functions (eg light master and fog lights) in what I think of as Japanese-style.

When driving, the car is very quiet and the petrol engine gives little more noise than pure electric (this is around town). Switching ICE/Hybrid/Electric was seamless. The ride is good, handling poor road surfaces well (and quietly). I did find the brake pedal a little high compared to the accelerator and the brakes a little too sensitive for my liking (but the car had few miles on it and you'd soon get used to it). Didn't get much chance to explore handling/acceleration but didn't find any worries either.

Delivery was quoted as 6-9 months (from mid-July) but we were sufficiently impressed to order one, a hatch Ultimate in Crimson Red. Roll on delivery!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

One of the things I really liked is that there are far more physical buttons in the Astra than in the 308 and even the Skoda Octavia.
Touch screen controls are not the best for driving I dont think.

The graphics on the screen are sharp and its clear enough to read at a glance, doesnt seem slow when clicking around either. Plus also has wireless Car Play which I think BMW not charge a yearly fee for!

I also like the black headliner in the GS Line model, not for everyone but reminds me of BMW M-Sport models too.
kzaruz

Post by kzaruz »

I pick my car up Saturday morning so will let you know!

I've got a Vauxhall Astra 2022 Ultimate in White, ordered back in Feb 2022.
Command_F

Post by Command_F »

Rob wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:34 pm One of the things I really liked is that there are far more physical buttons in the Astra than in the 308 and even the Skoda Octavia.
Touch screen controls are not the best for driving I dont think.

The graphics on the screen are sharp and its clear enough to read at a glance, doesnt seem slow when clicking around either. Plus also has wireless Car Play which I think BMW not charge a yearly fee for!
I agree about touch screens, they're more likely to get your eyes off the road than a button you can feel (and that's always in the same place).

On wireless CarPlay, my BMW (March 2021) included it without any recurring subscription. I think BMW, at least in the UK, binned that idea a while ago. Good to see Vauxhall including it too. To avoid confusion, the Astra will be my wife's when it finally shows up.