Fuse Diagram to Fit a Dash Cam - there isn't one

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra L
GTKnutsford

Post by GTKnutsford »

I purchased a Road Angel Halo Pro from Halfords, complete with the hard wire kit and fitting. An hour and a half into the fitting time, I received a call saying it couldn't be done because the fitter couldn't access any information about the fuse board and did not want to compromise the car's wiring system by guessing.

I approached Arnold Clark as the dealer who provided the car for a fuse board diagram. After some time they advised that they couldn't provide one as they don't have one. I asked them if they could fit the dash cam and they declined stating that they no longer fit dash cams (even though they display them in the show room). I received the same response from other dealers in Cheshire.

I approached Vauxhall Customer Care who called me several times as they tried to resolve the issue. They confirmed that no dealers in the area would fit a dash cam. They later advised that after approaching Vauxhall Technical, it was not possible to provide a fuse board diagram.

So, unless something changes, it would appear that no-one who owns the new Astra can have a dash cam (or other device) hard-wired into the car.

This isn't a major problem as I returned the dash cam and am now contemplating a 12V outlet solution instead. It does worry me that any electrical faults that may develop could hit a roadblock if dealers can't get hold of the fuse board diagram either.

TrumpetBoy

Post by TrumpetBoy »

Has anybody managed to get a dash cam wired in yet? Wanted one myself but (a) remembered this post and (b) the manual just says 'get fused fitted by workshop'
lfin386

Post by lfin386 »

I have a dash cam removed from my previous car waiting for someone to say they have a solution ! I bought it & had it fitted by Halfords to my previous car( a BEV) . I read later that they no longer fit dash cams to BEVs but not sure why. Not sure if this rule would apply to a PHEV but they quoted £60 plus hard wire kit so decided against it. From what has been said looks like they would refuse anyway because of lack of wiring diagram
I am amazed that a Vauxhall dealer would not fit one.
TrumpetBoy

Post by TrumpetBoy »

Just had a Thinkware F200 pro fitted (hardwired). Works a treat. Just needs a reliable pro installer to fit this and of course pay for their time to do the install properly with testing.
Ger-Brouwer

Post by Ger-Brouwer »

Hi, don't have everything, but enough to help you further.
The +30V Bus is not permanent power, it switches of after some time. so I intstalled a wire directly from fuse box under the bonnet to the OBD plug.
From there pin 1 is ignition, pin 4 is ground and the extra wire will be the +30 (perm. 12V) for parking mode.
Other solution can be fuse 14 which is the 12V connection in front.
Success with the installation.
BR,
Ger

Zekeringbox - kopie.jpg

Draad+30 - kopie.jpg

Zekeringbox VSM1.jpg

VSM1.pdf
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 345 times
GTKnutsford

Post by GTKnutsford »

The alternative I settled for was to purchase a Nextbase dashcam with the rear-facing camera attachment connected via the 12V outlet in the central storage compartment. The wire is well hidden except at two short runs and it cost nothing to fit.
ukahg

Post by ukahg »

I'm still waiting for my Ultimate 1.5d to be built but I'm intending to try a OBD2 power adapter when I swap my dashcam from my current car. Don't know how good they are but it looks like the switch on the device is either 'on when ignition on, off when ignition off' or 'always on' (for parking mode?).

ODB2Power.png

Astra hatchback Ultimate, 1.5 litres of pure diesel power! :lol:

So far the best fuel consumption achieved (on a 100 mile run on the A1 at 70mph) was 65.7mpg.
PXProgrammer

Post by PXProgrammer »

Hello,

I have had a hybrid sports tourer for about a month and have had a Nextbase front and rear (mounted on back window) Dash cam fitted.

I got all the items as a bundle direct from Nextbase , saving over individual prices (and Halfords) and then had a further 10% off with code when I registered my email address. The discount included the fitting. This was subcontracted by Nextbase to a company called RS Connect. The fitter was excellent and spent a couple of hours running the cables from the back of the car, and the fusebox etc. He had no problems with the installation and the camera is working wired direct into the fuse box. The only addition to the kit I had was a suction mount as I didnt like the idea of the sticker fitting for the front camera.

The fitter was excellent and all is working perfectly.
srscott44

Post by srscott44 »

ukahg wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:48 pm I'm still waiting for my Ultimate 1.5d to be built but I'm intending to try a OBD2 power adapter when I swap my dashcam from my current car. Don't know how good they are but it looks like the switch on the device is either 'on when ignition on, off when ignition off' or 'always on' (for parking mode?).

ODB2Power.png
Have you tried this yet? Does the OBD port give constant 12v power for parking? I'm looking to fit front and rear cameras to my ST. Not sure if the USB-C ports in the console are constant.

Would want to keep my dash clear of wiring.
MELenium2000

Post by MELenium2000 »

Hi
I have front and rear cameras and I did not want any wires showing so I used the rear usb socket and then used an angled usb connector so as it did not stick out for anyone in the rear to catch it.