A-Class to Astra

New to the Vauxhall Astra L Forums? Introduce yourself here
DeltaD2

Post by DeltaD2 »

Hi Folks, from Holy Loch, Argyll. I ordered my Astra Ultimate June 2022, and just had it delivered. I’ve had my dream Mercedes A-Class AMG Line for the last 4 years, and was apprehensive going ‘down’ to an Astra… but this is an ‘upgrade’ in every way! Even the app is better‼️
I think Merc have the badge, so they haven’t made such an effort in the last few years, where Vauxhall/Opal have invested. The current A-Class looks outdated in comparison to the Astra now.
I will get some decent photos up in the next few weeks, and look forward to being a part of the group.
Do you have meet ups, or runs?

IMG_2468.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

Never take a healthy day for granted. You never know when it will be your last.

Kwozzii

Post by Kwozzii »

Nice! Hope you’re enjoying it, are they AlloyGators on your wheels?
DeltaD2

Post by DeltaD2 »

Hi @Kwozzi Yes, a colleague of mine sells, and fits them. I’ve had them on all my cars.
These ones are definitely more subtle than the Vauxhall blue inserts.
srscott44

Post by srscott44 »

Glad to hear about another satisfied Astra owner! I see you went for the blue in the wheel protectors, I was to afraid of the blue not being a close colour to chance it and went for black Rim Blades instead. Hopefully they'll protect our wheels well, first time I've had them

IMG_6401.jpeg

IMG_6396.jpeg

DeltaD2

Post by DeltaD2 »

That colour makes your wheels look bigger. Well thought out, and a unique touch.
I’ve heard stories of people taking them off, and their alloys being damaged by grit. Between my wife & I, we have had them fitted on 6 cars with no issues/damage, so maybe they used a cheaper brand. First time I found a colour to match the paintwork though.
Kwozzii

Post by Kwozzii »

Just a quick question regarding the rim protectors - once they’re on do they stay on? As in if you need a new tyre do they have to remove them?
srscott44

Post by srscott44 »

DeltaD2 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:45 am That colour makes your wheels look bigger. Well thought out, and a unique touch.
I’ve heard stories of people taking them off, and their alloys being damaged by grit. Between my wife & I, we have had them fitted on 6 cars with no issues/damage, so maybe they used a cheaper brand. First time I found a colour to match the paintwork though.
Will be disappointed if they end up scratched underneath when they come off. I used Rim Blades brand.
srscott44

Post by srscott44 »

Kwozzii wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:11 pm Just a quick question regarding the rim protectors - once they’re on do they stay on? As in if you need a new tyre do they have to remove them?
I've had mine on for just 6 weeks or so. I've been washing the car (pressure washed) at least twice a week since then and no issues so far. They do come with cleaner for the rims and also an adhesive booster. Tyres shouldn't be a problem as they are on the face off the wheel and not wrapped around the edge when the tyre companies put the bar in.
DeltaD2

Post by DeltaD2 »

Kwozzii wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:11 pm Just a quick question regarding the rim protectors - once they’re on do they stay on? As in if you need a new tyre do they have to remove them?
Any time I’ve had new tyres, the fitter normally starts by saying that “I might not be able to get that back on”, but they have, every time.
I took them off my Mercedes when I traded it in. They had been on 4 years, 48,000 miles, and no damage at all. My wife’s 9 year old Mini had done over 101,000 miles, where there was some scratches, but way less damage than kerb strikes I imagine.
As @srscott44 said, certainly for the Alloygators, they sit flush against the alloy, so grit can’t really get in.
I would rest easy with the protection that you have, and I wouldn’t worry, at this point.
srscott44

Post by srscott44 »

Thanks
As @srscott44 said, certainly for the Alloygators, they sit flush against the alloy, so grit can’t really get in.
I would rest easy with the protection that you have, and I wouldn’t worry, at this point.