Hybrid battery range

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra L
Dave's Hybrid

Post by Dave's Hybrid »

Hi everyone i have just joined this forum. I have owned a Astra hybrid for about 6 months and the eclectic range has gone from about 35 miles to 25 miles ,has anyone got any information, or am i charging it the wrong way maybe. I dont use a fast charger i plug it into my house socket, thanks' for any info.

Xero

Post by Xero »

Battery charge is very sensitive to cold conditions and can lose up to 25% of range. I have about the same range on mine at the moment (hovering at 0-2 degrees up here in Scotland). Range will increase again through spring and into summer.

I am finding rapid charging to be more effective that home charging in colder conditions too, possibly due to the higher power helping warm up the battery more so it holds more charge if used immediately. Range is definitely down when using a 3 pin socket charger (I'm awaiting installation of a home type 2 charger, hopefully have in the next few weeks).
lfin386

Post by lfin386 »

The range seems about right and better than I am getting. The best I have had was 33 miles last summer and getting 22 now using mainly my 7kw home charger.
Car is going in for its first service later this month & dealer told me it requires updates , so will see if they effect range but not expecting an improvement until warmer weather.
Kieran1903

Post by Kieran1903 »

Hmmm this is interesting.

I just collected my 1.6 PHEV in december.

We live in north scotland so temperatures haven’t been great. Every full charge gives me 18miles in mileage. Have a feeling this should be higher, but tempted to see how this changes when the warmer weather comes over spring and in to summer.
Dave's Hybrid

Post by Dave's Hybrid »

Thanks for your input i will keep you all posted as the weather warms up
Ant

Post by Ant »

I've had mine for approaching 12 months now. The best range in summer was around 33 miles and now it's cold it's around 21/22 miles.
A drop in cold weather is to be expected but I would of hoped the summer range would be nearer the quoted figures and not such a significant drop in winter.
Colleagues with other PHEV's are not reporting such differences.
The car did an OTA update around the beginning of Dec and my gut feeling is the battery management has been a bit better.
It may be coincidental but since the update I have not been able to set the pre-conditioning from the app (although everything else with the app is working ok).
Still would like the ability to schedule the charging to stop at a given time. I really feel this is a function that is missing with the Astra. I've had this on my two previous PHEV's (BMW and Mitsubishi) so the technology is not new!
Kieran1903

Post by Kieran1903 »

Few more charges this week and still just getting 18.

Like i said, will see if this increases but i was expecting more towards the 22-26 mile range in winter, not half the expected hybrid output.

IMG_4672.jpeg